Dr Nathan Downs
|Position||Senior Lecturer (Mathematics)|
|Section||School of Sciences|
|Phone||+61 7 4631 5521|
|Qualifications||BEng(Hons) USQ , BEd USQ , MPhil USQ , PhD USQ|
The views expressed on staff homepages may not reflect the views of the University.
Solar UV radiation
USQ Research affiliations
Centre for Health Sciences Research (CHSR)
International Centre for Applied Climate Sciences (ICACS)
Currently teaching courses/programs
Research most recent
1. Garzón-Chavez, D.R., Quentin, E. Harrison, S.L., Parisi, A.V., Butler, H.J., Downs, N.J. 2018, “The geospatial relationship of pterygium and senile cataract to ambient solar ultraviolet in tropical Ecuador”, Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, DOI: 10/1039/C8PP00023A.
2. Downs, N.J. & Harrison, S.L. 2018, “A comprehensive approach to evaluating and classifying sun-protective clothing”, British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 1-7. DOI:10.1111/bjd.15938.
3. Downs, N.J, Butler, H. & Parisi, A.V. 2016, "Solar ultraviolet attenuation during the Australian (Red Dawn) dust event of 23 September 2009", Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 98, pp. 2039-2050 .
Conference Presentations / Proceedings
1. Downs, N.J., Garzón-Chavez, D.R., Quentin, E., Harrison, S.L., Parisi, A.V. & Butler, H.J. 2018, “The inverse relationship between the incidence of solar induced eye disease and reported skin cancer rates at high elevation in the tropical Andes, Ecuador, South America,” 4th International Conference on UV and Skin Cancer Prevention, 1-4 May 2018, Toronto, Canada.
2. Downs, N.J., Schouten, P.W. & Parisi, A. 2016, “In-situ measurements of solar exposure distribution on a coral reef: preliminary findings relating to reef aspect, water turbidity and dosimeter design,” 13th International Coral Reef Symposium, 19-24 June 2016, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
3. Downs, N., Harrison, S., Garzon-Chavez, D., Parisi, A. 2015, “Classroom teachers and occupational UV exposure characteristics: Townsville and Toowoomba,” 3rd International UV and Skin Cancer Prevention Conference, 7-11 December 2015, Melbourne.
Research most notable
Downs, N. & Parisi, A. 2009, “Measurements of the anatomical distribution of erythemal ultraviolet: a study comparing exposure distribution to the site incidence of solar keratoses, basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma”, Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 1195-1201. DOI:10.1039/b901741k
Publications in ePrints
Igoe, Damien P. and Downs, Nathan J.ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3191-6404 and Parisi, Alfio V. and Amar, Abdurazaq (2020) Evaluation of shade profiles while walking in urban environments: A case study from inner suburban Sydney, Australia. Building and Environment, 177:106873. pp. 1-7. ISSN 0360-1323
Jebar, Mustapha A. and Parisi, Alfio V. and Downs, Nathan J.ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3191-6404 and Turner, Joanna (2020) Influence of Clouds on OMI Satellite Total Daily UVA Exposure over a 12-year Period at a Southern Hemisphere Site. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 41 (1). pp. 272-283. ISSN 0143-1161
Downs, Nathan J. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3191-6404 and Axelsen, Taryn and Parisi, Alfio V. and Schouten, Peter W. and Dexter, Ben R. (2020) Measured UV Exposures of Ironman, Sprint and Olympic-Distance Triathlon Competitors. Atmosphere, 11 (5):440. pp. 1-15.
Ali, Mumtaz and Deo, Ravinesh C.ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2290-6749 and Downs, Nathan J.ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3191-6404 and Maraseni, Tek (2020) Monthly rainfall forecasting with Markov Chain Monte Carlo simulations integrated with statistical bivariate copulas. In: Handbook of probabilistic models. Elsevier (Butterworth-Heinemann), Oxford, United Kingdom, pp. 89-105. ISBN 978-0-12-816514-0
Parisi, Alfio V and Igoe, Damien P and Amar, Abdurazaq and Downs, NathanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3191-6404 (2020) Solar blue light radiation enhancement during mid to low solar elevation periods under cloud affected skies. Sensors, 20 (15):4105. pp. 1-13.