Assoc Prof Guangnan Chen
|Position||Associate Professor (Agricultural Engineering)|
|Section||School of Civil Engineering and Surveying|
|Phone||+61 7 4631 2518|
Fields of Research (FoR)
Sustainable Agricultural Development
I have published three edited books by CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Books in 2014, 2017, and 2018. I am also the Principal Investigator/Chief Investigator for the following externally funded research projects in the last few years:
* Updating a Greenhouse Gas Emissions Calculator (funded by Queensland Murray-Darling Committee, 2015)
* Benchmarking Energy Use on Farm (funded by RIRDC/AgriFutures, 2014)
* Conference travel grant to attend the 2013 ALCAS Conference (funded by Cotton Research & Development Corporation, 2013)
* Developing a LCI database for Australian agriculture (funded by CSIRO/RIRDC, 2011-2013)
* The Feasibility and Development of Alternate Energy Sources for the Australian Cotton Industry (funded by Cotton Research and Development Corporation, 2011-2014)
* A Protocol for Assessing On-farm Energy Use and Associated Greenhouse Gas Emissions (funded by Cotton Research and Development Corporation, 2010-2012)
* Supervision and Technical Support for a PhD research project at Queensland University of Technology (grant provided by QUT to USQ, 2010-1011)
* Renewable Energy Resources for Nursery Production (funded by Nursery and Garden Industry Australia, 2010)
* Evaluation of Opportunities of Energy Saving in Cotton Ginning Process (funded by Cotton Research and Development Corporation, 2008-2010)
* Reducing Energy Uses and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Intensive Agriculture in Queensland (funded by Queensland Farmers Federation, 2008)
* Reducing Energy Uses in Cotton - Development of EnergyCalc to Assess On-Farm Energy Uses (funded by Cotton Research and Development Corporation, 2007)
* Simulation and Optimisation of Crop (Grain) Harvesting and Drying Systems (funded by Queensland Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, 2006)
* Vice-Chair, Board of Technical Section IV (Energy in Agriculture), CIGR (Commission Internationale du Génie Rural, or International Commission of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering)
* Member, National Executive Committee, Australian Society for Engineering in Agriculture (SEAg), Institution of Engineers, Australia
* Member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Agricultural & Biological Engineering (IJABE)
* Guest Editor (Bundschuh, J., Chen, G., Yusaf, T., Chen, S., Yan, J.), Special Issue on Sustainable Energy and Climate Protection Solutions, Applied Energy, Volume 114, February, 2014 (Impact Factor 5.1).
* Guest Editor, Special agricultural engineering issues, Australian Journal of Multi-disciplinary Engineering (2009, 2011)
* Invited Keynote Speaker, 2nd International Conference on Environmental Science and Engineering [ESE-2017], July 14-16, 2017, Xiamen, China
* Invited Keynote Speaker, International Conference on New Technology of Agricultural Engineering (ICAE2011), May 27-29, 2011, Zibo, Shandong, China.
USQ Research affiliations
Centre for Agricultural Engineering (CAE)
Currently teaching courses/programs
* AGR2302 Agricultural Machinery
* AGR3303 Agricultural Materials and Post-Harvest Technologies
* AGR4305 Agricultural Soil Mechanics
* AGR3905 Agricultural Engineering Practice
* Acting Head of Discipline and Acting Deputy Head of Discipline of Agricultural, Civil and Environmental Engineering (August 2010 to January 2011)
* Strand Leader, Agricultural Engineering (Faculty of Engineering and Surveying) (since 2010)
* Member, Faculty Board (Faculty of Engineering and Surveying) (2007-2011)
* Member, Faculty Marketing Committee (since 2007)
* Associate Head/Program Coordinator, Agricultural, Civil and Environmental Engineering (since 2005)
* Member, Faculty Staff Workload Committee (2005)
Research most recent
* Onwude, D.I., Hashim, N., Abdan, K. Janius, R. and Chen, G. (2019). The Effectiveness of Combined Infrared and Hot-Air Drying Strategies for Sweet Potato, Journal of Food Engineering. Vol.241, pp.75-87.
* Widjaya, E.R., Chen, G., Bowtell, L. and Hills, C. (2018). Gasification of Non-Woody Biomass: a Literature Review, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 89. pp. 184-193.
* Roslan, N., Ya’acob, M.E., Radzi, M. A. M., Hashimoto, Y., Jamaludin, D., and Chen, G. (2018). Dye Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC) Greenhouse Shading: New Insights for Solar Radiation Manipulation, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. Volume 92, Pages 171–186.
Research most notable
* Chen, G. “Advances in Agricultural Machinery and Technologies”, 472 pages, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Books, 2018.
* Bundschuh, J., Chen, G., Chandrasekharam, D., and Piechocki, J. "Geothermal, Wind and Solar Energy Applications in Agriculture and Aquaculture", 362 pages, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Books, 2017.
* Bundschuh, J., Chen, G. "Sustainable Energy Solutions in Agriculture", 480 pages, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Books, 2014.
Selected Published Papers:
* Antille, D. L., Chamen, T., Tullberg, J. N., Isbister, B., Jensen, T. A., Chen, G., Baillie, C. P., Schueller, J. K. (2019). “Chapter 10: Controlled Traffic Farming in Precision Agriculture”. In: Stafford, J. V. (Ed.). Precision Agriculture for Sustainability, Part 2: Delivery Systems. Burleigh Dodds Series in Agricultural Science. Cambridge, U.K.
* Abdoli, B., Zare, D., Jafari, J., Chen, G., Nourmohamadi-Moghadami, A. (2018). Evaluation of the Air-Borne Ultrasound on Fluidized Bed Drying of Shelled Corn: Effectiveness, Grain Quality and Energy Consumption, Drying Technology. 36:14, pp.1749-1766.
* Latiffa, N.A, Ya’acoba, M.E., Kamala, S.M.M. and Chen, G. (2019). Performance of embedded photovoltaic solar still for water purification system in the tropics. Desalination and Water Treatment. 145, 36-45.
* Hamawand, I., Sandell, G., Pittaway, P., Chakrabarty, S., Yusaf, T., Chen, G., Seneweera, S., Al-Lwayzy, S., Bennet, J., Hopf, J. (2016). "Bioenergy from Cotton Industry Wastes: A Review and Potential", Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 66, pp.435–448.
* Onwude, D.I., Hashim, N. and Chen, G. (2016). "Recent Advances of Novel Thermal Combined Hot Air Drying of Agricultural Crops", Trends in Food Science & Technology, 55, pp.132–145.
* Maraseni, T.N., Chen, G., Banhazi, T., Bundschuh, J., Yusaf, T. (2015), “An Assessment of Direct on-Farm Energy Use for High Value Grain Crops Grown under Different Farming Practices in Australia”, Energies, 8, 13033–13046.
* Chen, G., Schmidt, E. et al, (2017). “Opportunities of Adopting Renewable Energy for the Nursery Industry in Australia”, In: Bundschuh, J., Chen, G., Chandrasekharam, D., and Piechocki, J. (Editors). Geothermal, Wind and Solar Energy Applications in Agriculture and Aquaculture, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Books, USA.
* Guan, L. and Chen, G. (2015). “Pumping Systems: Design and Energy Efficiency”, In: Anwar, S. (Editor). Encyclopedia of Energy Engineering and Technology, Taylor & Francis Books, London, UK.
* Nawi, N. M. and Chen, G. and Jensen, T. (2014). “In-field Measurement and Sampling Technologies for Monitoring Quality in the Sugarcane Industry: A Review”. Precision Agriculture, 15 (6). pp. 684-703. ISSN 1385-2256.
* Nawi, N.M., Chen, G. Jensen, T., Mehdizadeh, S.A., (2013), “Prediction and Classification of Sugarcane Brix Based on Skin Scanning Using Visible and Shortwave Near Infrared”, Biosystems Engineering, 115, pp.154-161.
* Ismail, S.A. Chen, G., Baillie, C, and Symes, T. (2011), “Energy Usage for Cotton Ginning in Australia”, Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 109, Issue 2, pp.140-147.
* Nawi, N.M, Chen, G., and Zare, D. (2010). “The Effect of Different Climatic Conditions on Wheat Harvesting Strategy and Return”, Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 106, Issue 4, pp. 493-502.
* Chen, G., Maraseni, T.N., and Yang, Z. (2010). "Life-Cycle Energy and Carbon Footprint Assessments: Agricultural and Food Products". In: Capehart, B. (Editor). Encyclopedia of Energy Engineering and Technology, 1:1,1-5, Taylor & Francis Books, London, UK.
* Chen, G., Anderson, J.A., Bannister, P., Carrington, C.G. (2002). “Monitoring and Performance of a Commercial Grain Dryer”, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, Vol.81, No.1, pp.73-83.
* Chen, G., Bannister, P., Carrington, C. G., Ten Velde, P. and. Burger, F. C. (2002). “Design and Application of a Dehumidifier Dryer for Drying Pine Cones and Pine Pollen Catkins”, Journal of Drying Technology, Vol.20, No.8, pp.1633-1643.
Publications in ePrints
Lu, L. and Ya’acob, M. E. and Anuar, M. S. and Chen, G. and Othman, M. H. and Iskandar, A. Noor and Roslan, N. (2020) Thermal analysis of a portable DSSC mini greenhouse for botanical drugs cultivation. Energy Reports, 6. pp. 238-253.
Onwude, Daniel I. and Hashim, Norhashila and Abdan, Khalina and Janius, Rimfel and Chen, Guangnan (2019) Experimental studies and mathematical simulation of intermittent infrared and convective drying of sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas L.). Food and Bioproducts Processing, 114. pp. 163-174. ISSN 0960-3085
Latiff, Noradira Abdul and Ya’acob, Mohammad Effendy and Kamal, Siti Mazlina Mustapa and Chen, Guangnan (2019) Performance of embedded photovoltaic solar still for water purification system in the tropics. Desalination and Water Treatment, 145 (March). pp. 36-45. ISSN 1944-3994
Onwude, Daniel I. and Hashim, Norhashila and Abdan, Khalina and Janius, Rimfiel and Chen, Guangnan (2019) The effectiveness of combined infrared and hot-air drying strategies for sweet potato. Journal of Food Engineering, 241. pp. 75-87. ISSN 0260-8774
Chen, Guangnan (2018) Advances in agricultural machinery and technologies. Taylor & Francis (CRC Press), Boca Raton, Florida, United States. ISBN 978-1-4987-5412-5
Approved research supervisor in the area of:
Sustainable Agricultural Development