Dr Wahid Ferdous
|Position||Senior Research Fellow (Civil Composites)|
|Section||Centre for Future Materials (Research)|
|Phone||+61 7 4631 1331|
|Qualifications||MEng UNSW , PhD USQ|
Dr Wahid Ferdous is the Senior Research Fellow (Level C) of the Centre for Future Materials (CFM) at the University of Southern Queensland (USQ). He is working closely with industry and government projects to carry out research work in the area of Structural Engineering, particularly composite structures and construction materials. Before starting at USQ, Dr Ferdous worked at Imperial College London, the University of Melbourne and Monash University as Postdoctoral Research Fellow. He received his PhD degree in Structural Engineering from University of Southern Queensland, MEng from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) and BSc in Civil Engineering from Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology (RUET). Dr Ferdous is the winner of 2018 Postgraduate Thesis Award in Australia and New Zealand for his PhD work, awarded jointly by the Railway Technical Society of Australasia (RTSA), Engineers Australia (EA) and Engineering New Zealand. He also received several competitive awards including Endeavour Postdoctoral Fellowship, Publication Excellence Award and 3-minute Pitch Club Challenge Award during postgraduate study, and University Gold Medal in undergraduate study.
Fields of Research (FoR)
Civil Engineering not elsewhere classified
• PhD (2017) - University of Southern Queensland (USQ), Australia
• MEng (2013) - The University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia
• GradCertEd (2016) - University of Southern Queensland (USQ), Australia
• BScEng (2008) - Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology (RUET), Bangladesh
• University of Southern Queensland (2018 - present), Australia
• Imperial College London (2018), United Kingdom
• The University of Melbourne (2017), Australia
• Monash University (2017), Australia
• Waste to composites;
• Application of FRP composites in civil construction;
• Resin based polymer concrete and its application;
• Durability aspects of concrete and composites;
• Structural analysis using finite element modelling.
• Composites Part B: Engineering, Elsevier
• Construction & Building Materials, Elsevier
• Engineering Structures, Elsevier
• Engineering Science and Technology - an International Journal, Elsevier
• Thin-walled structures, Elsevier
1. Postgraduate Thesis Award (2018), Winner in Australia & New Zealand, RTSA, Engineers Australia;
2. Quarterly University-wide Publication Excellence Award (2017 and 2015), USQ, Australia;
3. Top 3 Student Journal Publication Award (2016), Centre for Future Materials, USQ, Australia;
4. 3-Minute Pitch Club Challenge Award (2016), USQ, Australia;
5. School-Specific Publication Excellence Award (2016), USQ, Australia;
6. Higher Degree Research Support (2014 – 2017), Faculty of HES, USQ, Australia;
7. Australian Postgraduate Award (2014 – 2017), for PhD study, Australian Government, Australia;
8. University International Postgraduate Award (2010-2012) for MEng study, UNSW, Australia;
9. University Gold Medal Award (2008), RUET, Bangladesh;
10. University Grants Commission Award (2007), University Grants Commission, Bangladesh;
11. Best Student Award (2004 and 2007), RUET, Bangladesh;
12. UGC Merit Scholarship (2004 – 2008), RUET, Bangladesh.
• Member – Australian Composite Structures Society (ACSS);
• Member – The Railway Technical Society of Australasia (RTSA);
• Member – Concrete Institute of Australia (CIA).
USQ Research affiliations
Centre for Future Materials (CFM)
Currently teaching courses/programs
CIV8803 – Advanced Mechanics and Technology of Fibre Composites
CIV4803 – Mechanics and Technology of Fibre Composites
CIV3506 – Concrete Structures (previous course)
Research most recent
Total grants received: AU $200k
1. Ferdous W. (CI), Mehrinejad M. (PI), Abousnina R. (PI) and Alajarmeh O. (PI). “Value-adding and reusing waste tyres for laminated rubber structures” Capacity Building Grant, University of Southern Queensland, 2020-2021, AU$15k.
2. Manalo A, Ferdous W. and Alajarmeh O. “New generation cable management sleepers” Global Connections Fund-Bridging Grants, 2019: AU $50k.
3. Ferdous W. "Influence of microcracks on the mass transport properties of concrete", Endeavour Research Fellowship, Department of Education and Training, Australian Government, 2017: AU $24.5k.
4. Ferdous W. "Composite railway sleepers-new developments and opportunities", Faiveley Transport Company, 2015: AU $1.5k.
5. Manalo A and Ferdous W. “Innovative rail fastening systems for fibre composite railway sleepers” Enterprise Connect Research, 2013: AU $109k.
Research most notable
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?hl=en&user=f2MQ-lwAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate
1. USQ Researcher Wins Award for Composite Railway Sleeper Study, NetComposites (United Kingdom), May 29, 2018
Publications in ePrints
Alajarmeh, O. S. and Manalo, A. C. and Benmokrane, B. and Karunasena, W. and Ferdous, W.ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4473-4722 and Mendis, P. (2020) A New Design-Oriented Model of Glass Fiber-Reinforced Polymer-Reinforced Hollow Concrete Columns. ACI Structural Journal, 117 (2):117-S36. pp. 141-156. ISSN 0889-3241
Zanagan, Sartip and Epaarachchi, Jayantha and Ferdous, WahidORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4473-4722 and Leng, Jinsong (2020) A novel hybridised composite sandwich core with glass, kevlar and zylon fibres – investigation under low-velocity impact. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 137 (Article 103430). ISSN 0734-743X
Mehrinejad Khotbehsara, Mojdeh and Manalo, Allan and Aravinthan, Thiru and Ferdous, WahidORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4473-4722 and Nguyen, Kate T.Q. and Gangarao, Hota (2020) Ageing of particulate-filled epoxy resin under hygrothermal conditions. Construction and Building Materials, 249:118846. pp. 1-14. ISSN 0950-0618
Alajarmeh, Omar and Manalo, Allan and Benmokrane, Brahim and Ferdous, WahidORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4473-4722 and Mohammed, Ali and Abousnina, Rajab and Elchalakani, Mohamed and Edoo, Azam (2020) Behavior of circular concrete columns reinforced with hollow composite sections and GFRP bars. Marine Structures, 72:102785. pp. 1-17. ISSN 0951-8339
Mohammed, Ali A. and Manalo, Allan C. and Ferdous, WahidORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4473-4722 and Zhuge, Yan and Vijay, P.V. and Pettigrew, John (2020) Experimental and numerical evaluations on the behaviour of structures repaired using prefabricated FRP composites jacket. Engineering Structures, 210:110358. pp. 1-10. ISSN 0141-0296
Approved research supervisor in the area of:
Civil Engineering not elsewhere classified