Dr Wahid Ferdous
|Position||Senior Lecturer (Structural Engineering)|
|Section||School of Engineering|
|Phone||+61 7 4631 1331|
|Qualifications||BScCivEng(Hons) Rajshahi UET , GCertEd USQ , MEng UNSW , PhD USQ|
The views expressed on staff homepages may not reflect the views of the University.
Dr Wahid Ferdous is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Engineering at the University of Southern Queensland (USQ). His professional responsibilities involve teaching, research, and service. He is working closely with industry and government projects to carry out research work in the area of Structural Engineering. In his research, he investigates how to efficiently transform landfill wastes into construction materials that promote circular economies and support net zero emissions. Dr Ferdous worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Monash University, University of Melbourne, Imperial College London and USQ following his MEng and PhD degrees from UNSW and USQ, respectively. His PhD thesis won the Postgraduate Thesis Award 2018 from RTSA, Engineers Australia. He published over 50 first quartile (Q1 ranked) journal articles and received over $0.5 million in competitive research grants, including an Advance Queensland Industry Research Fellowship and the Endeavour Research Fellowship.
Fields of Research (FoR)
Civil Engineering not elsewhere classified
• PhD (2017) - University of Southern Queensland (USQ), Australia
• MEng (2013) - The University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia
• GradCertEd (2016) - University of Southern Queensland (USQ), Australia
• BScEng (2008) - Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology (RUET), Bangladesh
• University of Southern Queensland (2018 - 2022), Australia
• Imperial College London (2018), United Kingdom
• The University of Melbourne (2017), Australia
• Monash University (2017), Australia
• Development of low carbon emission construction materials;
• Transformation of landfill wastes into construction materials;
• Development of sustainable structures using fibre composites;
• Development of durable materials using resin based polymer concrete;
• Understand durability aspects of concrete and composites;
• Understand structural behaviour using finite element modelling.
• Composites Part B: Engineering, Elsevier
• Construction & Building Materials, Elsevier
• Engineering Structures, Elsevier
• Materials and Design, Elsevier
• Thin-walled structures, Elsevier
1. Postgraduate Thesis Award (2018), Winner in Australia & New Zealand, RTSA, Engineers Australia;
2. Quarterly University-wide Publication Excellence Award (2017 and 2015), USQ, Australia;
3. Top 3 Student Journal Publication Award (2016), Centre for Future Materials, USQ, Australia;
4. 3-Minute Pitch Club Challenge Award (2016), USQ, Australia;
5. School-Specific Publication Excellence Award (2016), USQ, Australia;
6. Higher Degree Research Support (2014 – 2017), Faculty of HES, USQ, Australia;
7. Australian Postgraduate Award (2014 – 2017), for PhD study, Australian Government, Australia;
8. University International Postgraduate Award (2010-2012) for MEng study, UNSW, Australia;
9. University Gold Medal Award (2008), RUET, Bangladesh;
• Member – Australian Composite Structures Society (ACSS);
• Member – Concrete Institute of Australia (CIA).
USQ Research affiliations
Centre for Future Materials (CFM)
Currently teaching courses/programs
ENG4110 – Engineering Research Methodology (S2, 2022)
CIV8803 – Advanced Mechanics and Technology of Fibre Composites (2019-2020, 2022, USQ)
CIV2502 – Structural and Building Technology (2021)
CIV3603 – Construction Methods (2021)
ENG4110 – Engineering Research Methodology (2021)
CIV2605 – Construction Engineering (2021, 2022, USQ)
CIV4803 – Mechanics and Technology of Fibre Composites (2019-2020, 2022, USQ)
CIV3506 – Concrete Structures (2014-2016, USQ)
ZEIT1500 – Statics (2011, UNSW)
Various Civil Engineering Courses (2008-2010, Overseas University)
Research most recent
Total grants received: AU $500k
1. Ferdous W. “Integrating waste plastics into sleeper for sustainable railway infrastructure” Advance Queensland Industry Research Fellowship, QLD State Government in collaboration with Industry, 2022-2024, AU$290k.
2. Ferdous W., Mehrinejad M., Abousnina R. and Alajarmeh O. “Value-adding and reusing waste tyres for laminated rubber structures” Capacity Building Grant, University of Southern Queensland, 2020-2021, AU$15k.
3. Manalo A, Ferdous W. and Alajarmeh O. “New generation cable management sleepers” Global Connections Fund-Bridging Grants, 2019: AU $50k.
4. Ferdous W. "Influence of microcracks on the mass transport properties of concrete", Endeavour Research Fellowship, Department of Education and Training, Australian Government, 2017: AU $24.5k.
5. Ferdous W. "Composite railway sleepers-new developments and opportunities", Faiveley Transport Company, 2015: AU $1.5k.
6. Manalo A and Ferdous W. “Innovative rail fastening systems for fibre composite railway sleepers” Enterprise Connect Research, 2013: AU $109k.
Research most notable
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?hl=en&user=f2MQ-lwAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate
1. USQ Researcher Wins Award for Composite Railway Sleeper Study, NetComposites (United Kingdom), May 29, 2018
Publications in ePrints
Salih, Choman ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8705-8779 and Manalo, AllanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0493-433X and Ferdous, WahidORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4473-4722 and Yu, Peng and Heyer, Tom and Schubel, PeterORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1610-0922 (2022) Behaviour of timber-alternative railway sleeper materials under five-point bending. Construction and Building Materials, 316:125882. pp. 1-12. ISSN 0950-0618
Yu, Peng and Manalo, AllanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0493-433X and Ferdous, WahidORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4473-4722 and Salih, ChomanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8705-8779 and Heyer, Tom and Schubel, PeterORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1610-0922 (2022) Screw lateral restraint behaviour of timber and polymeric based railway sleepers. Engineering Failure Analysis, 139:106514. pp. 1-18. ISSN 1350-6307
Sharda, Arvind and Manalo, AllanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0493-433X and Ferdous, WahidORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4473-4722 and Bai, Yu and Nicol, Lachlan and Mohammed, Ali and Benmokrane, Brajim (2021) Axial compression behaviour of all-composite modular wall system. Composite Structures, 268:113986. pp. 1-18. ISSN 0263-8223
Zangana, Sartip and Epaarachchi, Jayantha and Ferdous, WahidORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4473-4722 and Leng, Jinsong and Schubel, PeterORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1610-0922 (2021) Behaviour of continuous fibre composite sandwich core under low-velocity impact. Thin-Walled Structures, 158:107157. pp. 1-11. ISSN 0263-8231
Ferdous, Wahid ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4473-4722 and Manalo, AllanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0493-433X and Salih, ChomanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8705-8779 and Yu, Peng and Abousnina, Rajab and Heyer, Tom and Schubel, PeterORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1610-0922 (2021) Behaviour of Polymer Filled Composites for Novel Polymer Railway Sleepers. Polymers, 13 (8):1324. pp. 1-13.
Research supervisor in the area of:
Civil Engineering not elsewhere classified