Dr Toan Dinh
|Position||Senior Lecturer (Mechanical Engineering)|
|Section||Centre for Future Materials (Research)|
|Phone||+61 7 3470 4420|
|Qualifications||BEngMecht HANU , MScMecht HANU , PhD Griffith|
Dr Dinh is currently a Senior Lecturer and DECRA Fellow at University of Southern Queensland (USQ). He worked for Griffith University until 2019 and then joined USQ as a Lecturer (equiv. to Assistant Professor in the US). In 2020, Dr Dinh was named in the Early Achievers Leaderboard as one of Australia’s top 40 Rising Stars researchers. He published over 100 high-impact journal articles, including Science Advances, Nature Communications and many other Nature indexed papers. Dr Dinh secured over $2M funding through several distinguished fellowships and competitive research grants, including ARC DECRA and ARC Discovery Projects.
Fields of Research (FoR)
Manufacturing Engineering not elsewhere classified
Microelectromechanical Systems (Mems)
• Micro/nano-electromechanical systems (MEMS/NEMS)
• Physics of semiconductors
• Sensors for harsh environments
• Soft actuators and robotics
• Stretchable and wearable electronics
• Biosensors and bioelectronics
• Energy harvesting (light, mechanical & thermal) and self-powered sensors
Research awards (selected):
• 2021, Research Excellence award for Early Career Research (ECR), University of Southern Queensland (USQ)
• 2020, ARC DECRA award
• 2020, Top 40 Australian young researchers, The Australian
• 2020, Research Excellence award for ECR, Faculty of Health, Engineering and Sciences, USQ
• 2020, Highly Commended for Research Excellence award for ECR, USQ
• 2019, Micromachines Outstanding Reviewer Awards
• 2019, Finalist, Fresh Science Queensland
• 2019, Publon Top 1% Reviewers in Cross-Field
• 2018-2020, Griffith University Postdoctoral Fellowship (GUPF)
• 2018, Australian Nanotechnology Network Overseas Travel Fellowships
• 2018, Best paper award in 5th Int. Conf. on Sustainable Design and Manufacturing (co-author).
• 2016, Best paper award in Int. Conf. on Nanotechnology Nanomaterials in Energy (co-author).
• 2016, Best paper award in Int. Conf. on BioSensors, BioElectronics, BioMedical Devices, BioMEMS/NEMS and Applications (first author)
Research projects (selected):
• 2022-2025, Chief Investigator, “Nano optoelectronic coupling: towards an ultrasensitive sensing technology”, funded by Australian Research Council (ARC), Discovery Project A$585,000
• 2021-2024, Sole Investigator, “High-performance sensor technology for corrosive environments”, funded by Australian Research Council (ARC), DECRA Project A$440,675
• 2021-2022, Chief Investigator, “Energy efficient wireless sensor network for real-time flood monitoring”, funded by DFAT/CSIRO (Aus4Innovation) A$400,000
• 2020-2021, Lead Chief Investigator, “Light Harvesting, Self-Powered Silicon Carbide Sensor Technology Towards Harsh Environment Applications”, USQ Capacity Building Grant, A$15,000
• 2019-2020, Chief Investigator, “Superior Sensor Network (SSN) for Harsh Environments”, funded by Foundation for Australia-Japan Studies AUD$144,573
• 2018-2020, Sole Investigator, “Ultra-sensitive Sensing Technology Utilising Nano SiC/Si Heterostructures”, GU Postdoctoral Fellowship A$242,000
• 2019, Chief Investigator, “Opto-Electro-Mechanical Measurement Suite”, Griffith Science Equipment Grant, A$160,000
• 2019, Sole Investigator, “Opto-thermotronic phenomena in SiC nanofilms for high-performance temperature-sensing nanodevices”, GU New Researcher Grant A$10,400
• 2018, Sole Investigator, “Micro/nano resonators and resonant sensors”, Australian Nanotechnology Network Overseas Travel Fellowship A$8,000
• 2017, Lead Chief Investigator, “Development and characterization of self-sensing SiC micro/nano resonators”, Griffith/Simon Fraser University Collaboration Grant A$13,600
HDR position openings:
• If you are interested in pursuing a PhD/MSCR with Dr Dinh’s research group, please send your CV to Toan.Dinh@usq.edu.au.
• Scholarship programs will be recommended upon discussion for both domestic and international HDR students.
News: Dr Dinh's research group currently offers ARC Discovery Project funded PhD scholarship (Closing date: 31 March 2022). Details can be found here: https://www.usq.edu.au/scholarships/arc-phd-stipend-nanomachining
USQ Research affiliations
Centre for Future Materials (CFM)
Currently teaching courses/programs
MEC1201 - Engineering Materials
Research most recent
Research most recent: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=fsADWaQAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate
A.R. Md Foisal, A. Qamar, T. Nguyen, T. Dinh, H.-P. Phan, H. Nguyen, P.G. Duran, E.W. Streed, D.V. Dao, Ultra-sensitive self-powered position-sensitive detector based on horizontally-aligned double 3C-SiC/Si heterostructures, Nano Energy, 2020. (IF: 16.602)
T.-A. Pham, A. Qamar, T. Dinh, M.K. Masud, M. Rais-Zadeh, D.G. Senesky, Y. Yamauchi, N.-T. Nguyen, and H.-P. Phan, "Nanoarchitectonics for wide band gap semiconductor nanowires: Toward the next generation of nanoelectromechanical systems for environmental monitoring," Advanced Science, 2020 (IF: 15.840)
T. Dinh, T. Nguyen, H.-P. Phan, N.-T. Nguyen, D.V. Dao, J. Bell, "Stretchable respiration sensors: advanced designs and multifunctional platforms for wearable physiological monitoring," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2020 (IF: 10.257)
P. Guzman, T. Dinh, H.-P. Phan, A. P. Joy, A. Qamar, B. Bahreyni, Y. Zhu, M. Rais-Zadeh, H. Li, N.-T. Nguyen, D. V. Dao, "Highly-doped SiC resonator with ultra-large tuning frequency range by Joule heating effect," Materials & Design, 2020 (IF: 5.77)
T.-A. Pham, T.-K. Nguyen, R.K. Vadivelu, T. Dinh, A. Qamar, S. Yadav, Y. Yamauchi, J.A. Rogers, N.-T. Nguyen, and H.-P. Phan, "A Versatile Sacrificial Layer for Transfer Printing of Wide Bandgap Materials for Implantable and Stretchable Bioelectronics", Advanced Functional Materials, 2020. (IF: 15.621)
T. Nguyen, T. Dinh, H.-P. Phan, V. T. Dau, T.-K. Nguyen, A. P. Joy, B. Bahreyni, A. Qamar, M. Rais-Zadeh, D. G. Senesky, N.-T. Nguyen and D. V. Dao, "Self-Powered Monolithic Accelerometer Using A Photonic Gate", Nano Energy, 2020, (IF: 15.548)
A. Qamar, H.-P. Phan, T. Dinh, N-.T Nguyen, M. Rais-Zadeh, "ScAlN/3C-SiC/Si platform for monolithic integration of highly sensitive piezoelectric and piezoresistive devices", Applied Physics Letters, 2020 (IF: 3.521)
T. Dinh, T. Nguyen, A. R. M. Foisal, H.-P. Phan, T.-K. Nguyen, N.-T. Nguyen, and D. Dao, “Optothermotronic effect as an ultrasensitive thermal sensing technology for solid-state electronics ”, Science Adv., 2020 (IF: 12.804)
H.-P. Phan, T. Dinh, T.-K. Nguyen, A. Qamar, T. Nguyen, V. T. Dau, J. Han, D. V. Dao, N.-T. Nguyen, "High temperature silicon-carbide-based flexible electronics for monitoring hazardous environments", Journal of Hazardous Materials, 2020, (IF: 7.650)
T. Nguyen, T. Dinh, H.-P. Phan, T.-K. Nguyen, A. R. Md Foisal, N.-T. Nguyen, and D. V. Dao, Opto-electronic coupling in semiconductors: towards ultrasensitive pressure sensing, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2020 (IF: 6.641 )
T. Dinh, T. Nguyen, H.-P. Phan, T.-K. Nguyen, V. T. Dau, N.-T. Nguyen, D. V. Dao, "Advances in rational designs and materials of high-performance stretchable electromechanical sensors," Small, 2020 (IF: 10.856)
T.-K. Nguyen, H.-P. Phan, K.M. Dowling, A. S. Yalamarthy, T. Dinh, V. Balakrishnan, T. Liu, C.A. Chapin, Q.-D. Truong, V.T. Dau, K.E. Goodson, D.G. Senesky, D.V. Dao, and N.-T. Nguyen, "Lithography and etching-free microfabrication of silicon carbide on insulator using direct UV laser ablation," Adv. Eng. Mater., 2020 (IF: 2.906)
Research most notable
T. Dinh et. al., “Optoelectronic coupling platforms and sensors,” Patent No. 2023306, 2019
T. Dinh et. al., “Wide Bandgap Nanowires: Synthesis, Properties, and Applications”, Wiley book 2022, in press.
T. Dinh et. al., "Thermoelectrical Effect in SiC for High-Temperature MEMS Sensors", Springer Nature book, 2018
T. Dinh et. al., “Optothermotronic effect as an ultrasensitive thermal sensing technology for solid-state electronics ”, Science Adv., 2020
T. Dinh et. al., “Giant piezoresistive effect by optoelectronic coupling in a heterojunction”, Nature communications, 2019 (IF: 11.880, Nature Indexed)
T. Dinh et. al., "Thermoresistive effect for advanced thermal sensors: fundamentals, design considerations and applications ", IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems (JMEMS), 2017.
T. Dinh et. al., " Environment-friendly carbon nanotube based flexible electronics for noninvasive and wearable healthcare,'' J. Mater. Chem. C, 4, 10061-10068, 2016.
T. Dinh et. al., "Stretchable respiration sensors: advanced designs and multifunctional platforms for wearable physiological monitoring," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 2020.
Publications in ePrints
Truong, Thanh-An and Nguyen, Tuan-Khoa and Zhao, Hangbo and Nguyen, Nhat-Khuong and Dinh, ToanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7489-9640 and Park, Yoonseok and Nguyen, ThanhORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3213-6178 and Yamauchi, Yusuke and Nguyen, Nam-Trung and Phan, Hoang-Phuong (2022) Engineering Stress in Thin Films: An Innovative Pathway Toward 3D Micro and Nanosystems. Small, 18 (4):2105748. pp. 1-29. ISSN 1613-6810
Vu, Trung-Hieu and Nguyen, Hang Thu and Fastier-Wooller, Jarred W. and Tran, Canh-DungORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1011-4226 and Nguyen, Tuan-Hung and Nguyen, Hong-Quan and Nguyen, ThanhORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3213-6178 and Nguyen, Tuan-Khoa and Dinh, ToanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7489-9640 and Bui, Tung T. and Zhong, Yulin and Phan, Hoang-Phuong and Nguyen, Nam-Trung and Dao, Dzung V. and Dau, Van Thanh (2022) Enhanced electro-hydrodynamics for electrospinning a highly sensitive flexible fiber-based piezoelectric sensor. ACS Applied Electronic Materials, 4 (3). pp. 1301-1310.
Nguyen, Hong Quan and Foisal, Riduan and Tanner, Philip and Nguyen, Tuan Hung and Aberoumand, Sadegh and Dau, Van Thanh and Dinh, ToanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7489-9640 and Dimitrijev, Sima and Phan, Hoang Phuong and Nguyen, Nam-Trung and Dao, Viet Dzung (2022) Giant Piezotronic Effect by Photoexcitation–Electronic Coupling in a p-GaN/AlGaN/GaN Heterojunction. ACS Applied Electronic Materials.
Nguyen, Tuan-Khoa and Yadav, Sharda and Truong, Thanh-An and Han, Mengdi and Barton, Matthew and Leitch, Michael and Guzman, Pablo and Dinh, ToanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7489-9640 and Ashok, Aditya and Vu, Hieu and Dau, Van and Haasmann, Daniel and Chen, Lin and Park, Yoonseok and Do, Thanh Nho and Yamauchi, Yusuke and Rogers, John A. and Nguyen, Nam-Trung and Phan, Hoang-Phuong (2022) Integrated, Transparent Silicon Carbide Electronics and Sensors for Radio Frequency Biomedical Therapy. ACS Nano. ISSN 1936-0851
Nguyen, Thanh ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3213-6178 and Dinh, ToanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7489-9640 and Bell, John and Nguyen, Nam-Trung and Dao, Viet Dzung (2022) Light-Harvesting Self-Powered Monolithic-Structure Temperature Sensing Based on 3C-SiC/Si Heterostructure. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 14. pp. 22593-22600. ISSN 1944-8244
Research supervisor in the area of:
Manufacturing Engineering not elsewhere classified
Microelectromechanical Systems (Mems)