Assoc Prof Guangnan Chen
|Position||Associate Professor (Agricultural Engineering)|
|Section||School of Agriculture and Environmental Science|
|Phone||+61 7 4631 2518|
Fields of Research (FoR)
Sustainable Agricultural Development
Sustainable Agricultural Development
I was the Discipline Leader (Agricultural and Environmental Engineering) at USQ in 2021. I have published three edited books by CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Books in 2014, 2017, and 2018. I have further published my fourth edited book with MDPI in 2021. I am also the Principal Investigator/Chief Investigator for the following externally funded research projects in the last few years:
* Updating a Greenhouse Gas Emissions Calculator (funded by Queensland Murray-Darling Committee, 2015)
* Benchmarking Energy Use on Farm (funded by RIRDC/AgriFutures, 2014)
* Conference travel grant to attend the 2013 ALCAS Conference (funded by Cotton Research & Development Corporation, 2013)
* Developing a LCI database for Australian agriculture (funded by CSIRO/RIRDC, 2011-2013)
* The Feasibility and Development of Alternate Energy Sources for the Australian Cotton Industry (funded by Cotton Research and Development Corporation, 2011-2014)
* A Protocol for Assessing On-farm Energy Use and Associated Greenhouse Gas Emissions (funded by Cotton Research and Development Corporation, 2010-2012)
* Supervision and Technical Support for a PhD research project at Queensland University of Technology (grant provided by QUT to USQ, 2010-1011)
* Renewable Energy Resources for Nursery Production (funded by Nursery and Garden Industry Australia, 2010)
* Evaluation of Opportunities of Energy Saving in Cotton Ginning Process (funded by Cotton Research and Development Corporation, 2008-2010)
* Reducing Energy Uses and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Intensive Agriculture in Queensland (funded by Queensland Farmers Federation, 2008)
* Reducing Energy Uses in Cotton - Development of EnergyCalc to Assess On-Farm Energy Uses (funded by Cotton Research and Development Corporation, 2007)
* Simulation and Optimisation of Crop (Grain) Harvesting and Drying Systems (funded by Queensland Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, 2006)
* Vice-Chair, Board of Technical Section IV (Energy in Agriculture), CIGR (Commission Internationale du Génie Rural, or International Commission of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering)
* Member, National Executive Committee, Australian Society for Engineering in Agriculture (SEAg), Institution of Engineers, Australia
* Member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Agricultural & Biological Engineering (IJABE)
* Guest Editor (Bundschuh, J., Chen, G., Yusaf, T., Chen, S., Yan, J.), Special Issue on Sustainable Energy and Climate Protection Solutions, Applied Energy, Volume 114, February, 2014 (Impact Factor 5.1).
* Guest Editor, Special agricultural engineering issues, Australian Journal of Multi-disciplinary Engineering (2009, 2011)
* Invited Keynote Speaker, 2nd International Conference on Environmental Science and Engineering [ESE-2017], July 14-16, 2017, Xiamen, China
* Invited Keynote Speaker, International Conference on New Technology of Agricultural Engineering (ICAE2011), May 27-29, 2011, Zibo, Shandong, China.
USQ Research affiliations
Centre for Agricultural Engineering (CAE)
Currently teaching courses/programs
* AGR2302 Agricultural Machinery
* AGR3303 Agricultural Materials and Post-Harvest Technologies
* AGR4305 Agricultural Soil Mechanics
* AGR3905 Agricultural Engineering Practice
* Discipline Leader (Agricultural and Environmental Engineering) (2021-2021)
* Acting Head of Discipline and Acting Deputy Head of Discipline of Agricultural, Civil and Environmental Engineering (August 2010 to January 2011)
* Member, Faculty Board (Faculty of Engineering and Surveying) (2007-2011)
* Member, Faculty Marketing Committee (since 2007)
* Associate Head/Program Coordinator, Agricultural, Civil and Environmental Engineering (since 2005)
* Member, Faculty Staff Workload Committee (2005)
Research most recent
* Onwude, D.I., Hashim, N., Abdan, K. Janius, R. and Chen, G. (2019). The Effectiveness of Combined Infrared and Hot-Air Drying Strategies for Sweet Potato, Journal of Food Engineering. Vol.241, pp.75-87.
* Widjaya, E.R., Chen, G., Bowtell, L. and Hills, C. (2018). Gasification of Non-Woody Biomass: a Literature Review, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 89. pp. 184-193.
* Roslan, N., Ya’acob, M.E., Radzi, M. A. M., Hashimoto, Y., Jamaludin, D., and Chen, G. (2018). Dye Sensitized Solar Cell (DSSC) Greenhouse Shading: New Insights for Solar Radiation Manipulation, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. Volume 92, Pages 171–186.
Research most notable
* Onwude, D.I. and Chen, G. (2021). Advances in postharvest process systems. MDPI. Switzerland. ISBN 978-3-0365-2373-6. https://www.mdpi.com/books/pdfview/book/4572
* Chen, G. “Advances in Agricultural Machinery and Technologies”, 472 pages, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Books, 2018.
* Bundschuh, J., Chen, G., Chandrasekharam, D., and Piechocki, J. "Geothermal, Wind and Solar Energy Applications in Agriculture and Aquaculture", 362 pages, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Books, 2017.
* Bundschuh, J., Chen, G. "Sustainable Energy Solutions in Agriculture", 480 pages, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Books, 2014.
Selected Published Papers:
* Antille, D. L., Chamen, T., Tullberg, J. N., Isbister, B., Jensen, T. A., Chen, G., Baillie, C. P., Schueller, J. K. (2019). “Chapter 10: Controlled Traffic Farming in Precision Agriculture”. In: Stafford, J. V. (Ed.). Precision Agriculture for Sustainability, Part 2: Delivery Systems. Burleigh Dodds Series in Agricultural Science. Cambridge, U.K.
* Abdoli, B., Zare, D., Jafari, J., Chen, G., Nourmohamadi-Moghadami, A. (2018). Evaluation of the Air-Borne Ultrasound on Fluidized Bed Drying of Shelled Corn: Effectiveness, Grain Quality and Energy Consumption, Drying Technology. 36:14, pp.1749-1766.
* Latiffa, N.A, Ya’acoba, M.E., Kamala, S.M.M. and Chen, G. (2019). Performance of embedded photovoltaic solar still for water purification system in the tropics. Desalination and Water Treatment. 145, 36-45.
* Hamawand, I., Sandell, G., Pittaway, P., Chakrabarty, S., Yusaf, T., Chen, G., Seneweera, S., Al-Lwayzy, S., Bennet, J., Hopf, J. (2016). "Bioenergy from Cotton Industry Wastes: A Review and Potential", Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 66, pp.435–448.
* Onwude, D.I., Hashim, N. and Chen, G. (2016). "Recent Advances of Novel Thermal Combined Hot Air Drying of Agricultural Crops", Trends in Food Science & Technology, 55, pp.132–145.
* Maraseni, T.N., Chen, G., Banhazi, T., Bundschuh, J., Yusaf, T. (2015), “An Assessment of Direct on-Farm Energy Use for High Value Grain Crops Grown under Different Farming Practices in Australia”, Energies, 8, 13033–13046.
* Chen, G., Schmidt, E. et al, (2017). “Opportunities of Adopting Renewable Energy for the Nursery Industry in Australia”, In: Bundschuh, J., Chen, G., Chandrasekharam, D., and Piechocki, J. (Editors). Geothermal, Wind and Solar Energy Applications in Agriculture and Aquaculture, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Books, USA.
* Nawi, N. M. and Chen, G. and Jensen, T. (2014). “In-field Measurement and Sampling Technologies for Monitoring Quality in the Sugarcane Industry: A Review”. Precision Agriculture, 15 (6). pp. 684-703. ISSN 1385-2256.
* Nawi, N.M., Chen, G. Jensen, T., Mehdizadeh, S.A., (2013), “Prediction and Classification of Sugarcane Brix Based on Skin Scanning Using Visible and Shortwave Near Infrared”, Biosystems Engineering, 115, pp.154-161.
* Ismail, S.A. Chen, G., Baillie, C, and Symes, T. (2011), “Energy Usage for Cotton Ginning in Australia”, Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 109, Issue 2, pp.140-147.
* Nawi, N.M, Chen, G., and Zare, D. (2010). “The Effect of Different Climatic Conditions on Wheat Harvesting Strategy and Return”, Biosystems Engineering, Vol. 106, Issue 4, pp. 493-502.
* Chen, G., Maraseni, T.N., and Yang, Z. (2010). "Life-Cycle Energy and Carbon Footprint Assessments: Agricultural and Food Products". In: Capehart, B. (Editor). Encyclopedia of Energy Engineering and Technology, 1:1,1-5, Taylor & Francis Books, London, UK.
* Chen, G., Anderson, J.A., Bannister, P., Carrington, C.G. (2002). “Monitoring and Performance of a Commercial Grain Dryer”, Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research, Vol.81, No.1, pp.73-83.
* Chen, G., Bannister, P., Carrington, C. G., Ten Velde, P. and. Burger, F. C. (2002). “Design and Application of a Dehumidifier Dryer for Drying Pine Cones and Pine Pollen Catkins”, Journal of Drying Technology, Vol.20, No.8, pp.1633-1643.
Publications in ePrints
Sadeghi, Reza and Heidari, Fereshteh and Ebadollahi, Asgar and Chen, GuangnanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8460-9224 (2022) Effects of High-Pressure Carbon Dioxide on the Sensory and Chemical Properties of Dried Dates and Its Toxicity against Galleria mellonella (L.) and Plodia interpunctella (Hubner). Journal of Food Protection, 85 (9). pp. 1329-1334. ISSN 0362-028X
Nosrati, Mojtaba and Zare, Dariush and Nassiri, Seyed Mehdi and Chen, GuangnanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8460-9224 and Jafari, Abdolabbas (2022) Experimental and numerical study of intermittent drying of rough rice in a combined FIR-dryer. Drying Technology, 40 (10). pp. 1967-1979. ISSN 0737-3937
Onwude, Daniel I. and Hashim, Norhashila and Chen, GuangnanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8460-9224 and Putranto, Aditya and Udoenoh, Nsikak R. (2021) A Fully Coupled Multiphase Model for Infrared‐Convective Drying of Sweet Potato. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 101 (2). pp. 398-413. ISSN 0022-5142
Chen, Guangnan ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8460-9224 and Maraseni, Tek NarayanORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9361-1983 (2021) Agriculture: energy use and conservation. In: Managing soils and terrestrial systems, 2nd ed. Environmental Management Handbook, III. Taylor & Francis (CRC Press), Boca Raton, FL, United States, pp. 9-18. ISBN 978-1-138-34265-1
Research supervisor in the area of:
Sustainable Agricultural Development
Sustainable Agricultural Development
Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) for Sustainable Development of Agriculture
Development of Novel Gasification Technology for the Grain Industry
Development of methods to accurately measure sugar quality in the field
Water Energy Food Nexus
Energy and Productivity Benefits of Controlled Traffic Farming and Conservation Agriculture Systems
Creating a Uniform Phosphine Gas Distribution in Grain Silos During Fumigation
Harvest and Drying Strategies for Grain Crops
Hydrogen production from agricultural waste using anaerobic digestion with selective inhibition of hydrogenotrophs in an anaerobic baffle reactor
Combustion of Landfill Waste
Development of NIR Methods to Measure Sugar Quality in the Field
Succinic acid production from food waste
Hydrogen production from sugarcane bagasse using gasification
Biochar from agricultural waste for soil and environmental improvements
Exploring the Innovative Uses of Solar Shading in Greenhouse Crop Production
Developing a Machine Learning Model to Reliably Predict Future Food Waste
Innovative Technologies for Converting Food Waste to Energy
Energy Savings by Adopting Precision Agriculture
Simulation of fertiliser behaviour in agricultural soil