Assoc Prof Ahmed Haidar
|Position||Adjunct Associate Professor|
|Section||School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering|
Fields of Research (FoR)
Electrical and Electronic Engineering not elsewhere classified
Electrical Engineering not elsewhere classified
1. Smart electricity grids
2. Renewable energy integration
3. Intelligent power system control and optimization
4. Power quality, security, and reliability
Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Senior Member, International Association of Computer Science & Information Technology (IACSIT)
MIEAust, positioned in the occupational category of Professional Engineer
Research most recent
1. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Norhuzaimin Julai, “An improved scheme for enhancing the ride-through capability of grid-connected photovoltaic systems towards meeting the recent grid codes requirements”, Elsevier, Energy for Sustainable Development, 50 (2019) 38–49.
2. Mohd R. M. Sharip, Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Aaron C. Jimel, “Optimum Configuration of Solar PV Topologies for DC Microgrid connected to the Longhouse Communities in Sarawak, Malaysia”, International Journal of Photoenergy, Volume 2019.
3. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Vic Smith, Sean Elphick, “A Multipurpose Problem-Based Learning Platform for Education and Research Under Smart Grid Umbrella”, International Journal of Electrical Engineering & Education, December, 2018.
4. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Kashem M. Muttaqi, Mehrdad Tarafdar Hagh, “A Coordinated Control Approach for DC link and Rotor Crowbars to Improve Fault Ride-Through of DFIG based Wind Turbine”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 53, No. 4, July/August 2017.
5. M. Askaria, M. Moghavvemi, Haider A. F. Almurib, Ahmed M. A. Haidar, “Soft Constrained Finite Horizon Model Predictive Control”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. PP, No. 99. 2017.
6. Adila Fakhar, Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Musse M. Ahmed, A. K. Rahman, “Sustainable Energy Management Design for Bario Microgrid in Sarawak, Malaysia”, IEEE International Conference on Power and Energy (PECon2018), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2018.
7. A. Balqis Z. Khan, Ahmed M. A. Haidar, Al-Khalid bin Hj Othman, “Contingency Analysis of a Power Grid with the Participation of Utility-Scale Solar PV Units: A Case Study from Sarawak, Malaysia”, IEEE International Conference on Power and Energy (PECon2018), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2018.
8. Muhammad Qasim Khan, Musse Mohamud Ahmed, Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Norhuzaimin Julai, Mohammad Kamarul Hasan”, Synchrophasors Based Wide Area Protection and Phasor Estimation: A Review”, IEEE International Conference on Power and Energy (PECon2018), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Research most notable
1. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Kashem Muttaqi, “Behavioral Characterization of Electric Vehicle Charging Loads in a Distribution Power Grid through Modeling of Battery Chargers”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 52, No. 1, 2016.
2. N. Jaalam. N.A Rahima, A.H.A. Bakara, ChiaKwang Tan, Ahmed M.A. Haidar, “A Comprehensive Review of Synchronization Methods for Grid-connected Converters of Renewable Energy Source”, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 59, 1471–1481, 2016.
3. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Kashem Muttaqi, M. H. Haque “Multi-stage Time-variant EV Load Modeling for Capturing Accurate EV Behavior and EV Impact on Electricity Distribution Grids”, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 9, Issue 16, 2015, p. 2705 – 2716.
4. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Kashem M. Muttaqi, “Effects of PEV Penetration on Voltage Unbalance”, Springer Singapore, Plug-In Electric Vehicles in Smart Grid, Book Chapter 10, 279 – 307, 2015.
5. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Kashem M. Muttaqi, Danny Soetanto, “Technical Challenges for Electric Power Industries due to Grid-Integrated Electric Vehicles in Low Voltage Distributions: A review”, Energy Conversion and Management, 86, 689–700, 2014.
6. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Al-Khalid bin Hj Othman, Luiz A. C. Lopes, “Flexibility-based Anti-islanding Protection of a Microgrid Integrated with Power Grid”, the 5th IEEE International Conference on Smart Energy Grid Engineering, Oshawa, Canada, 2017.
7. Hikma Shabani, Ahmed M. A. Haidar, Norhuzaimin Julai, Musse M. Ahmed, P.R.P Hoole, Majdi Marai, “Adaptive Algorithm for Optimal Route Configuration in Multi-Hop Wireless Sensor Network”, International Journal of Control Theory and Application, Vol. 10, No. 16, 2017.
8. Mehrdad T. Hagh, Kashem M. Muttaqi, Danny. Sutanto, M. S. A. Hossain, Ahmed M. A. Haidar, “Improving Fault Ride-through Capability of Doubly-fed Induction Generator based Wind Generators by Bridge-type Superconducting Fault Current Limiter”, 50th International Universities Power Engineering Conference, 1st - 4th September, Staffordshire University, UK, 2015.
9. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Majid Al-Dabbagh, “The Influences of T-Joint Core Design on the No Load Losses in Transformers”, IEEE Potentials Magazine, 32 (3), 2013.
10. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Chellali Benachaiba, “Software Interfacing of Servo Motor with Microcontroller”, Journal of Electrical Systems, 9-1, 84-99, 2013.
11. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Muhammad F. M. Senan, Faisal A. F. Ibrahim, “Utilization of Micro Hydro Generation in Domestic and Commercial Loads”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 16, pp. 518–524, 2012.
12. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Priscilla N. John, Mohd Shawal, “Optimal Configuration Assessment of Renewable Energy in Malaysia”, Renewable Energy, 36, 881–888, 2011.
13. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, M.W. Mustafa, Faisal Ibrahim, Ibrahim A. Ahmed, “Transient Stability Evaluation of Electrical Power System Using Generalized Regression Neural Networks”, Applied Soft Computing, 11, 3558–3570, 2011.
14. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Azah Mohamed, and Aini Hussain, “Vulnerability Control of Large Scale Interconnected Power System Using Neuro-fuzzy Load Shedding Approach”, Expert Systems with Applications, Elsevier, 37, pp. 3171–3176, 2010.
15. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Azah Mohamed, Federico Milan, “A Computational Intelligence-based Suite for Vulnerability Assessment of Electrical Power Systems”, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 18, 533–546, 2010.
16. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Azah Mohamed, Aini Hussain, Norazila Jaalam, “Artificial Intelligence Application to Malaysian Electrical Power System”, Expert Systems with Applications, 37, 5023–5031, 2010.
17. Ahmed M.A. Haidar, Azah M., Majid Al-Dabbagh, Aini H., Mohammad Masoum, “An Intelligent Load Shedding Scheme Using Neural Networks and Neuro-Fuzzy”, International Journal of Neural Systems, World Scientific, 19(6), 473–479, 2009.
Publications in ePrints
Haidar, Ahmed M. A. and Smith, Vic and Elphick, Sean (2021) A multipurpose problem-based learning platform for education and research under smart grid umbrella. International Journal of Electrical Engineering Education, 58 (1). pp. 3-32. ISSN 0020-7209
Haidar, Ahmed M. A. and Fakhar, Adila and Muttaqi, Kashem M. (2020) An effective power dispatch strategy for clustered micro-grids while implementing optimal energy management and power sharing control using power line communication. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 56 (4):9088278. pp. 4258-4271. ISSN 0093-9994
Ullah, Shahid and Haidar, Ahmed M. A. and Zen, Hushairi (2020) Assessment of technical and financial benefits of AC and DC microgrids based on solar photovoltaic. Electrical Engineering, 102. pp. 1297-1310. ISSN 0948-7921
Haidar, Ahmed M.A. and Fakhar, Adila and Helwig, Andreas (2020) Sustainable energy planning for cost minimization of autonomous hybrid microgrid using combined multi-objective optimization algorithm. Sustainable Cities and Society, 62:102391. ISSN 2210-6707
Ullah, Shahid and Haidar, Ahmed M. A. and Hoole, Paul and Zen, Hushairi and Ahfock, Tony (2020) The current state of Distributed Renewable Generation, challenges of interconnection and opportunities for energy conversion based DC microgrids. Journal of Cleaner Production, 273:122777. pp. 1-23.
Approved research supervisor in the area of:
Electrical and Electronic Engineering not elsewhere classified