Dr Nathan Downs
|Position||Senior Lecturer (Mathematics)|
|Section||School of Agricultural, Computational and Environmental Sciences|
|Phone||+61 7 4631 5521|
|Qualifications||BEng(Hons) USQ , BEd USQ , MPhil USQ , PhD USQ|
The views expressed on staff homepages may not reflect the views of the University.
Solar UV radiation
USQ Research affiliations
Centre for Health Sciences Research (CHSR)
International Centre for Applied Climate Sciences (ICACS)
Currently teaching courses/programs
Research most recent
1. Garzón-Chavez, D.R., Quentin, E. Harrison, S.L., Parisi, A.V., Butler, H.J., Downs, N.J. 2018, “The geospatial relationship of pterygium and senile cataract to ambient solar ultraviolet in tropical Ecuador”, Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, DOI: 10/1039/C8PP00023A.
2. Downs, N.J. & Harrison, S.L. 2018, “A comprehensive approach to evaluating and classifying sun-protective clothing”, British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 1-7. DOI:10.1111/bjd.15938.
3. Downs, N.J, Butler, H. & Parisi, A.V. 2016, "Solar ultraviolet attenuation during the Australian (Red Dawn) dust event of 23 September 2009", Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 98, pp. 2039-2050 .
Conference Presentations / Proceedings
1. Downs, N.J., Garzón-Chavez, D.R., Quentin, E., Harrison, S.L., Parisi, A.V. & Butler, H.J. 2018, “The inverse relationship between the incidence of solar induced eye disease and reported skin cancer rates at high elevation in the tropical Andes, Ecuador, South America,” 4th International Conference on UV and Skin Cancer Prevention, 1-4 May 2018, Toronto, Canada.
2. Downs, N.J., Schouten, P.W. & Parisi, A. 2016, “In-situ measurements of solar exposure distribution on a coral reef: preliminary findings relating to reef aspect, water turbidity and dosimeter design,” 13th International Coral Reef Symposium, 19-24 June 2016, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
3. Downs, N., Harrison, S., Garzon-Chavez, D., Parisi, A. 2015, “Classroom teachers and occupational UV exposure characteristics: Townsville and Toowoomba,” 3rd International UV and Skin Cancer Prevention Conference, 7-11 December 2015, Melbourne.
Research most notable
Downs, N. & Parisi, A. 2009, “Measurements of the anatomical distribution of erythemal ultraviolet: a study comparing exposure distribution to the site incidence of solar keratoses, basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma”, Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 1195-1201. DOI:10.1039/b901741k
Publications in ePrints
Parisi, Alfio V. and Amar, Abdurazaq and Downs, Nathan J. and Igoe, Damien P. and Harrison, Simone L. and Turner, Joanna (2019) Development of a model for calculating the solar ultraviolet protection factor of small to medium sized built shade structure. Building and Environment, 147. pp. 415-421. ISSN 0360-1323
Ghimire, Sujan and Deo, Ravinesh C. and Downs, Nathan J. and Raj, Nawin (2019) Global solar radiation prediction by ANN integrated with European Centre for medium range weather forecast fields in solar rich cites of Queensland Australia. Journal of Cleaner Production, 216. pp. 288-310. ISSN 0959-6526
Downs, N. J. and Harrison, S. L. (2018) A comprehensive approach to evaluating and classifying sun-protective clothing. British Journal of Dermatology, 178 (4). pp. 958-964. ISSN 0007-0963
Dexter, Ben and King, Rachel and Harrison, Simone L. and Parisi, Alfio V. and Downs, Nathan J. (2018) A pilot observational study of environmental summertime health risk behaviour in central Brisbane, Queensland: opportunities to raise sun protection awareness in Australia’s Sunshine State. Photochemistry and Photobiology. ISSN 0031-8655
Deo, Ravinesh C. and Downs, Nathan J. and Adamowski, Jan F. and Parisi, Alfio V. (2018) Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System integrated with solar zenith angle for forecasting sub-tropical photosynthetically active radiation. Food and Energy Security, 8 (1).